Time Zone: + / – 2h CEST
The Senior Developer role at Angry Creative
Our best Senior Developers drive what we can do as an agency, and use their experience to lead teams in delivering technical excellence for our clients. You will be a key part of a Unit, working with customer-facing roles to design technical solutions, promoting best practices internally and externally, and helping to oversee the successful technical delivery of client projects.
As a senior WordPress developer here at Angry, you will likely have expertise across a number of engineering languages and frameworks, with a WordPress and WooCommerce focus. Like our technical team, you will likely have enjoyed exploring opportunities and technologies outside the standard WordPress stack – including React, PWAs, Elasticsearch, Lavarel, VueJS, Svelte, Task runners, CI/CD and advanced API integrations.
Typical activities include:
- Leading the development of WordPress and WooCommerce projects
- Scoping and estimating work with Client Success Managers and clients
- Presenting work, ideas and proposed solutions to internal and external stakeholders
- Coaching and mentoring members of the team
- Problem-solving and testing proposed solutions with MVPs and prototypes
- Reporting on project development activity in team stand-ups and client meetings
- Collaborating with design and development departments to create effective workflows on projects
- Reviewing code and quality checking solutions
- Contributing to our internal products, and open source projects
- Representing Angry Creative at industry events and conferences
You will be an integral part of your team (called units here), which consist of a Unit Manager, Developers, Designers, Solution Architects and Client Success managers. Each morning you’ll attend a Unit Stand Up to ensure that you have the support you need to get your work done and to flag any potential blockers.
We encourage an environment where everyone is free to speak up and everyone’s voice is heard: communication and collaboration are things we insist on from all team members.
What we look for in people
We value and encourage an open mind. It is important to us that you are supportive to both clients and colleagues. We want you to be creative and suggest solutions to problems that might appear, and listen to other people’s input. It’s also important to us that you are flexible and adapt easily as we are a business that grows and moves quickly.
- Strong problem-solving skills, naturally inquisitive and someone that enjoys finding solutions
- Someone that loves learning and sharing knowledge with others and actively seeks out support from the wider team to help improve their skills
- You’ll understand what’s needed now and also have an eye on the future, and want to contribute to this
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
We’re looking for someone with at least 5 years of experience delivering WordPress websites, ideally larger-scale sites in an agency environment, with an understanding of the commercial goals of a web development agency.
- WordPress coding standard-compliant development (PHP, SCSS, JS)
- WooCommerce implementation and configuration
- API development
- Project and task estimation and budgeting
- Excellent communication skills
- English language – fluent/professional proficiency
- Ability to convert business requirements into technical requirements
- Advanced integrations using APIs and/or GraphQL
- Enterprise-scale development and deployment
- PWA development
- Digital marketing and analytics integrations
We try to find specialisms for each person within our technical team, which combines their interests with the needs of the company. Such as a coding language or methodology, or coaching and mentoring.
Senior Developers will often progress towards the Solution Architect role, which focuses on project planning and scoping and leading the technical implementation of projects.
- Flexible working: We have flexible working hours to ensure a work-life balance. Everyone is free to manage their own day depending on priority.
- Team socials: Each month we like to celebrate all our great work with a team social.
- Annual company retreat: Next year’s retreat will be held in Portugal where we’ll also be attending WordCamp Europe!
- Education and development: You are in control of your learning and development. Working together with your manager to plan out what areas you’d like to focus on. We have Hungry Creative sessions presented by members of the team or external speakers.
- Home office: We offer home office setup allowances.
Meet our Developers
Too often there’s a gap between expectations set in job ads, and the reality experienced by our team. So, here are some quotes from some of our current amazing team of Developers & Solution Architects based throughout Europe and Africa:
‘I’ve worked with several digital agencies in my time, and Angry Creative is by far the most organised, caring and forward-thinking of them all.’
‘I haven’t the faintest clue what Sunday night angst is since I started at Angry Creative! In my previous life, I would walk around with a ball of stress. Here I’ve had more responsibility and expectations put on me but thanks to the structure, processes and support system that ball of stress hasn’t come back!’
‘There is a good effort to make sure everyone feels connected. Mental health is important, and Angry Creative understands this’
‘Management works with the team instead of against each other. Sometimes there is a bit of chaos but at the end of it, you receive the support you need.
‘Flexible working and remote hours mean I get to spend more time with my family than I have working elsewhere.’
‘We’re all individuals with different strengths and needs and that’s ok!’
‘Beer ‘o clock, Friday, 15:00 pm. Don’t be late!’
Learning & Development
‘You’re able to help other developers grow. There’s always lots of healthy debates going on and lots of smart people to learn from.’
‘There is always room to grow and you’re not locked into the position that you start in. If you want to make a bold move from one position to another, the company supports that and will help you.’
‘There are regular opportunities to learn either on the job, in group learning sessions or individually. You have the chance to learn new skills outside of your current discipline.
‘I love being able to take the time to research a new solution for a project or product be that an API, plugin or a new WordPress feature. Also helping junior developers to reach an “ah-ha!” moment is immensely rewarding.”
‘I have the most fun mentoring and teaching the next generation of developers as well as learning from them and gaining some fresh perspectives. Obviously, I love problem-solving, I don’t think there’s any developer who’s been in the game for more than a few years that doesn’t! But having worked in our field for so many years now I find it much more rewarding being able to help and teach those around me and at Angry Creative I really feel like I have the ability to do just that.’
‘This is a place to work where we abolish toxic ego and being afraid to show vulnerability or lack of knowledge. Everyone is encouraged to ask for help and from each other as a collective, rather than being ashamed of. By being transparent we build trust in each other and share our knowledge (or lack thereof) with pride!’
‘With Qala, we’re building something that will stick around for a long time and that we can all be proud of.’
‘Being a Senior Developer at Angry Creative is so much more than knowing your code. Of course, you should know what capital_P_dangit() does but you should also understand the value of good communication, have the ability to view problems from the perspective of other stakeholders and be willing to grow into a tech leader.’
‘The niche and vision that we’ve set for ourselves as a business really makes the job interesting from a tech perspective. eCommerce with WordPress and WooCommerce is really blowing up and we are positioning ourselves to become major players in that field. This means we get to work with some challenging and interesting clients as well as push the limits of what the tech stack can do with our own productisation efforts.’
‘You’re involved in cutting edge WordPress/WooCommerce development that you don’t often get the chance to do as often at other WordPress focused agencies.’
- Applications received
- Applications reviewed and a shortlist of people will be asked to attend a Stage 1 initial phone/video meet
- Successful candidates will be given a pre-interview task and invited to a 1 hour Stage 2 interview
- Successful candidates will be asked to complete some personality and competency tests (this takes about 1hr in total)
- Successful candidates will be offered the role if there are no outstanding questions
Angry Creative is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse environment. We value, support and celebrate differences in backgrounds and experiences, and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups in our industry.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.